Re: What's the point of \book{...} ?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: What's the point of \book{...} ?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:12:45 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
Graham Percival wrote:

On 29-Jun-05, at 12:46 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Graham Percival wrote:

On 28-Jun-05, at 6:32 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Unless there is a serious bug, in a lilypond-book document each page of a \book is output as a lily-xxxx-1.eps, lily-xxxx-2.eps etc. sequence, as well as a single EPS file, whose height is as big as necessary. The latter is

"whose height is as big as necessary" -- what do you mean by that?  The

Big enough so the EPS file encompassess all pages when stacked vertically.

Is it hard-coded to the size of A4 paper? I haven't tried other paper sizes,

Like I said, it's not hardcoded at all. The EPS bbox is stretched to fit all of the pages. If it doesn't work, bugreport please.

Come on guys, don't you realize that you are talking about different
things. If you read carefully what Han-Wen said 28-June, there are two
types of generated .eps files when you have an explicit \book{..} in a
lilypond-book score:
I) Page by page files lily-xxx-1.eps ... lily-xxx-N.eps
II) A single file lily-xxx.eps that contains the full score

Clearly, Graham keeps asking about the I) files, whereas Han-Wen keeps
answering about II) file!

Since only the I) files are used when you run lilypond-book on a LaTeX
file, Graham's concerns are completely valid, namely that the height of
each lily-xxx-n.eps file is taken from the default settings in
ly/paper-defaults.ly, not from the page layout of the LaTeX document.

The single large file II) is used for the HTML output from texinfo,
which I guess Han-Wen uses much more frequently than the LaTeX output
mode, so I can understand the confusion.

   /Mats