Re: 'make all' failure ChangeLog 1.3441

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: 'make all' failure ChangeLog 1.3441
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:19:01 +0200

David Bobroff writes:

> Ok, and it seems that some more package requirements have been added (or
> I didn't get them installed when I installed Linux this time).  I tried
> to add everything that the output complained was missing (and was afraid
> I was on a descent into Dependency Hell) and almost satisfied
> autogen.sh.

Are there any packages needed that are not available for your distribution?

Maybe we should find out and list the most convenient installation commands
for each distribution, like I did for Debian at

    http://lilypond.org/web/devel/packaging.html

It should really not have to be more than a apt-get, yum,
what-have-you command or two.

> WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs:  libgtk+-2.0-dev
> or gtk+-2.0-devel >= 2.4.0 (installed: )
>
> ERROR: Please install required programs:  libpangoft2-dev or pangoft2-
> devel >= 1.6.0 (installed: )

Ah, that's better than the compile failures you saw before.

> Regarding libgtk+-2.0/gtk+2.0; I can't seem to find such a thing.  Am I
> not looking hard enough, or is this a typo?  Should it be libgtk2/gtk2?
> I find in among the Fedora Core 3 RPMs gtk2 but nothing with the '+'.
> Google searches for gtk+ only locate v1.2.x.

It should probably be one of those, the -devel package.  The package
is called gtk+, but different distributions use different, often
unpredictable names.

> As for libpangoft2-dev/pangoft2-devel; I'm simply not finding them.

Thanks, that should read [lib]pango-dev[el]

> And finally, I can't find INSTALL.txt anywhere in the lilypond source
> tree.

Ah, but that's because you build from CVS.  You're supposed to know
to look at Documentation/topdocs/INSTALL.texi ;-)

> Sorry if I seem extra ignorant at the moment.

Not at all, you have quite specific and clear bug reports.

Jan.