Re: removing unwanted accidentals

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: removing unwanted accidentals
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:56:05 +0200

address@hidden:
> On Thursday 14 April 2005 21.31, Stephen wrote:
> > In the example, '\set Score.currentBarNumber = #1' creates the problem. I

Correct.

> > don't see why the numbering is reset there other than to remove the number
> > from that bar because it collides with the mark "D". There must be another
> > way to suppress the bar number at that bar.
>
> It also changes the numbering of all subsequent bars. I don't know the
> author's intent in this case (I didn't write that snippet), but I guess it
> could be something like an attaca movement.

Yes. The bigger picture is H. Purcells opera "Dido & Æneas":

 http://aspodata.se/motett/noter/act*

I did not like idea of big bar number, like 543.
I think it is better with aria/movement 23, bar 25.

> > However, I fixed it by setting the accidental style to 'forget'. See? there
> > is already a way to do it.

*No*, the forget does not work for:
 act 1, aria 13, bar  6 Violin II: the b is shown with natural
 act 1, aria 13, bar 11 Violin  I: the f is shown with natural
Elsewhere yes, but not for theese two notes.

I don't know how to solv theese.
If I put another f before bar 11 for V1, that f gets the natural.
It seems that the first f, in this case, gets the natural, and I
tried to insert a \hideNote f \unHideNote, but it was still visible.

Btw, I solved the issue for the other places by starting each aria like:

  \set Score.explicitKeySignatureVisibility = #begin-of-line-visible
  \set Score.printKeyCancellation = ##f
  \key c \minor

when the previous part already was in c minor.

It would be nice if I could write:

  \key c \minor \music02
  \key c \minor \music03
  \key c \minor \music04
  \key c \minor \music05

and the key-engraver only shows the key signature when it *changes*.
I tried hack around in lily/key-engraver.cc and doing things like
if (scm_is_eq (last, key)) return, found no solution.

> Erik

Possible, but for this case I would prefer:
1, fixing the bug
2, make key-engraver only show changes

The reason for 2, is that I prefer to put the workaround in one place,
instead of littering down the .ly with bug-corrections, that must be
refound when the bug is removed.