Re: devel on OSX

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: devel on OSX
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:43:03 -0700

From: Graham Percival <address@hidden>

Does anybody have experience with tracking CVS on OSX?

Not me, as such, but I've built a few dozen lilypond releases on MacOSX, so I feel semi-qualified :-)

I was hoping you'd answer.  :)

How do you deal with the dependancies? (alternately, how does fink do it?)

Presumably, you could just install the fink lilypond package and then remove it. This would leave all the dependencies installed.

Unfortunately not; see below.

On Linux, I can easily install mftrace, guile-config, etc, and then download CVS and compile Lilypond. But those programs aren't in fink, so I'd need to install them manually. Is that what other people on OSX do?

guile is in fink (actually, you need guile16).

I realize that, but it's configured in a weird way.  Or something.

$ fink install lilypond      ## yes, with all dependancies
$ fink purge lilypond
$ cd ~/devel/lilypond-2.3.8    ## fresh tarball from webpage
$ ./autogen.sh

output:
WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs:  guile mftrace

ERROR: Please install required programs: echo no guile-config >= 1.6 (installed: ) kpathsea (libkpathsea-dev, kpathsea-devel or tetex-devel package). Else, please specify the location of your kpathsea using --with-kpathsea-include and --with-kpathsea-lib options. You should install kpathsea; see INSTALL.txt. Rerun ./configure --without-kpathsea only if kpathsea is not available for your platform.

I could try installing mftrace, and I could probably deal with the kpathsea stuff, but I don't know what's up with echo, no, and guile-config.

Unfortunately, mftrace & co. are not yet available on MacOS X. The current fink packages "cheat" on the source builds by extracting the prebuilt fonts from the RedHat rpms. This may not be a viable strategy for CVS tracking.

mftrace will compile; I just tried it. And Lilypond's autogen.sh is happy with mftrace now:

WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs:  guile

ERROR: Please install required programs: echo no guile-config >= 1.6 (installed: ) kpathsea (libkpathsea-dev, kpathsea-devel or tetex-devel package). Else, please specify the location of your kpathsea using --with-kpathsea-include and --with-kpathsea-lib options. You should install kpathsea; see INSTALL.txt. Rerun ./configure --without-kpathsea only if kpathsea is not available for your platform.

Do you know what's happening with guile?

- Graham