Re: Latest Fret-Diagrams Version

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Latest Fret-Diagrams Version
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 20:36:04 -0400

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 19:10, Heikki Johannes Junes wrote:

> The fret diagrams look nicer and nicer all the time.

Thanks!

> However, few suggestions:
>
> - place also white text to the center of the circle

According to the algorithms, I am currently doing this (I use
stencil-align-to and center).  The white text algorithm is a bit of a
kludge.  I may play with it some more, but I think I want to work on a
FretDiagram context and engraver first.

> - have an even more natural (or professional) look by applying logarithmic
> distances between horizontal fret lines:
> 1) if the maximum, topmost distance between frets is L, then
> 2) the second, smaller one is L*2^(-1/12),
> 3) the third, even smaller one is L*2^(-2/12),
> 4) and the fourth, propably the shortest one is L*2^(-3/12).
> 5) and the n'th, if needed is L*2^(-(n-1)/12)).
> Or, as cumulative distances (rightmost column):
> L* 2^(-0/12)   1.0000   1.0000
>    2^(-1/12)   0.9439   1.9439
>    2^(-2/12)   0.8909   2.8348
>    2^(-3/12)   0.8409   3.6757
>    2^(-4/12)   0.7937   4.4694
> These distances apply for any barree position. (However, I am not sure how
> the
> output looks like)

I've looked at as many fret diagrams as I can find.  None of them have
variable fret spacing.  I realize that guitars do, but it doesn't seem
to be a publishing standard used anywhere I can find.  Do you have an
example of this kind of layout?  If so, could you scan it and send it to
me?

> - place also filled circles slightly towards to the corresponding fret, if
> the
> size of the circle does not extend to the complete space between neighboring
> frets.

I'm sure I can figure out an algorithm to handle this.  I'll try to get
it done in the near future.

Thanks for the input.  I'm glad somebody (besides me) cares enough to
try them out and make suggestions.