Re: Logical problem in crecendo notation ?

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Re: Logical problem in crecendo notation ?
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 03:05:13 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Alexandre Beneteau wrote:

> BUT, if I want to customize the text (ie "molto cresc" instead of "cresc") the
> documentation says I have to set the property Voice.crescendoText and use the
> \<
> \! notation !!!
>
> Would not be more logical to set a property to modify the text produced by the
> syntax \cresc and not \cr or \< ???

After finding out that:
 (1) It looks like the syntax is defined by the first atom in pairs
     `\<' and `\|', `\cr' and `\rc', and `\cresc' and `\endcresc'
     -- this was found by mixing the definitions.
and
 (2) The sorter syntaces `\cr' and `\<' seem to produce similar results,
     which is the angle-syntax.
 (3) The longer syntax `\cresc' `\endcresc' produces text 'cresc - - -'.
Ok, now your point becomes more clear.

The definition for `\cresc' and `\endcresc, for example, are in
`ly/spanners-init.ly':

cresc = \notes {
  #(ly:export (make-event-chord (list cr)))
  \property Voice.crescendoText = \markup { \italic "cresc." }
  \property Voice.crescendoSpanner = #'dashed-line
}

endcresc = \notes {
  #(ly:export (make-event-chord (list rc)))
  \property Voice.crescendoText \unset
  \property Voice.crescendoSpanner \unset
}

Therefore, \cresc is nothing but \cr with crescendoText and
crescendoSpanner set to some values. The logic is clear and sharp.
Similarly, you can define `\moltocresc' and `\endmoltocresc' to meet
your needs.

Greetings,

  Heikki Junes

--
Low Temperature Laboratory, Helsinki University of Technology
  P.O.Box 2200, FIN-02015 HUT, Finland

Jääkärinkatu 6A as.10, FIN-00150 Helsinki, Finland
  +358 44 JUNESHJ (5863745)