Re: timing (the 1.7 approach)

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: timing (the 1.7 approach)
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 13:10:30 +0200

Han-Wen wrote:

(btw, I do like the idea of a

      c24 c12

syntax, it's nice & consistent. However, I doubt that it would become
very popular).

Well, yes, this syntax was the whole point. I cannot really see how to implement it when having only powers of two (and a multiplier)... Should c9 translate into c8*8/9 or c4*4/9 ? My point is that the multiply currently is used to "fake" a duration - i.e. the engravers typesets the note as if the multiplyer is not there (except for the mm-rests - but this I concider an exception) but the timing acts like if it IS there. I think that this is a very handy possibility which I would NOT like to remove - by i.e. letting c4*6/4 result in a triplet automatically being generatied.

The mensural stuff would be solved by allowing this syntax because one could simply enter the "real" duration of a note and then let the engraver about to decide how to typeset it.

I don't know how much it would be used. I know that I would use it all the time, but perhaps my mind is more mathematically oriented than the mind of an average lilypond-user... I don't know...

-Rune