Font encoding

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Font encoding
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 23:54:56 +0100

Hi,

I've made a first attempt to implement the long awaited
support for different font encodings. This means that you
now can typeset Swedish, Danish, German, Spanish, ...
in lyrics and text scripts including all special characters and
Lilypond will understand and calculate the correct size of each letter
when it determines the spacing. So far, the encodings OT1 (the default
in TeX) and T1 (Latin1) are supported.

There are (at least) two remaining issues:

- You have to set both the grob property font-encoding and
  the paper variable fontenc if ly2dvi should handle the
  fonts correctly. Preferably, one of these should be set
  from the other. Maybe it would be best if the grob
  property was set based on the paper variable, since it's
  a bad idea to mix different font encodings in the same
  file. I haven't investigated how this could be done.
  Any suggestions?

- I'm cheating, since in OT1 and T1, the input encoding
  coincides with the font encoding, i.e. the character
  code is the same in the font as in the standard file
  input file format. In order to support Cyrillic text,
  for example, we'd need an extra function that translates
  from the character code in the input to the corresponding
  code in the font. In LaTeX, this is done in a two-step
  procedure, where the inputenc package translates the
  input into TeX macros and the fontenc package translates
  the TeX macros into the font codes. In Lilypond it could
  be done in a single step, just using a table for each
  combination of input and font encodings.

   /Mats