Re: PATCH: new types of arpeggio

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: PATCH: new types of arpeggio
Date: 18 Sep 2001 20:01:11 +0200

Chris Jackson <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, here goes with the code.. Most of it's just copied from the upper
> half of the arpeggio squiggle, it's only the last five lines which are
> the actual arrow.
>
> def draw_arpeggio_arrow =
>       save thinness, height, width, overshoot, se, sw, ne, nw, alpha;
>       pair ne, nw, se, sw;

Thanks.  [I got errors error after pasting it at the top of
feta-schrift.mf, but it works when pasted at the bottom of the file;
it uses x-y definitions that are left-over from the arpeggio, I fear.]

Actually, these looks rather nice.  I've seen examples of arrows (in
Stone) that are a lot longer (about twice as long) and (thus)
`leaner', `pointier'.

But that's only one source; as far as I'm concerned these would be
fine too, except for some nitpicks:

  * Something goes wrong at the tip of the arrow, it's flat instead of
    `sharp'; it should be as sharp as the `feathers' of the arrow are.

  * There are very sharp edges where the arrowhead touches the
    arpeggio squiggle, ideally this should be blot-diameter-round

Of course, the left-over x/y value bug should be fixed; and it would
also be nice if you would separated-out the real arrow-head part; I've
seen the same arrow-head been used on top of glissando lines.

Greetings,
Jan.