Looking for info about Easy Notation feature

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Looking for info about Easy Notation feature
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 18:46:04 +0200

address@hidden writes:
>   If someone has the time, could you tell me a little bit about the
> coding behind the easy notation feature (the Hal Leonard style
> lettered notes)?  I'm sure it'll all make more sense once I get deeper
> into the code (just figured out what a grob was a couple of minutes
> ago...), but any pointers or overviews someone could provide would
> make me real happy.  If I tinker with this feature, will I be working
> in C++, Python, or Guile?

C++ and/or GUILE (= Scheme).

For ez notation, the note head molecule routine
(Note_head::brew_molecule) is overriden by
Note_head::brew_ez_molecule.

This function sets up Scheme code which calls the Scheme function
ez-ball.  ez-ball (see tex.scm and ps.scm) generates PostScript code
which draws the circle (see music-drawing-routines.ps) and the
letter. (Yes, rather convoluted, but such is life :)

The avenue you seem to want is to extract a different symbol (ie. call
find-notehead-symbol, as is done in Note_head::brew_molecule)
depending on the y-position of the head (obtained by
Staff_symbol_referencer::position_f() ). This would be a nice
candidate for a new function Note_head::brew_shaped_molecule ().

>   There's a design thought that keeps coming up in my mind, too.  It
> seems to me that a lot of output features are set in the file that
> might work better on the command line.  For example, a song is the

On paper that might seem like a good idea, but I doubt whether it is
very practical. But you can get more or less the same effect  if you
code the input files carefully, and \include  a generic music file
into files that specify either sound or music output.