[Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #4973 Group co

From: Auto mailings of changes to Lily Issues
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #4973 Group contexts in the Keep_alive_together_engraver
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 10:45:39 +0000

Can I suggest holding off? I've not found the time and focus to review but this patch seems to me like it is going down a rabbithole of complexity that is unmanageable at the user level and unnecessarily contorted at the implementation level. I don't see that it accomplishes more (actually less) than the low-level proposal based on lives-with/dies-with previously, and that latter level would be a better basis for creating functionality at a higher level.

Basically, you rejected that proposal at the time based on the contention that what you implemented instead would be sufficient, and this patch here is based on the realization that it isn't. And it might be followed by further such iterations.

So I'd really suggest reconsidering this yet-another-bolt-on approach (or the original issue) to see whether we are not better off, after all, with a less contorted and more universally engine on the inside and then just creating some nicer interface on top in Scheme only.

[issues:#4973] Group contexts in the Keep_alive_together_engraver

Created: Fri Sep 16, 2016 06:16 PM UTC by mkdev
Last Updated: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:30 AM UTC
Owner: mkdev

Group contexts in the Keep_alive_together_engraver

This introduces a VerticalAxisGroup.keep-alive-group' property which can be set to a symbol to associate a subset of contexts under the control of the same Keep_alive_together_engraver. This group operates only up to the highestremove-layer` level of its
members.

http://codereview.appspot.com/310230043

Sent from sourceforge.net because address@hidden is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/