Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4438 in lilypond: Internals Reference: add siz

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4438 in lilypond: Internals Reference: add size to the properties of Fretboards
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 18:34:58 +0000

Comment #2 on issue 4438 by address@hidden: Internals Reference: add size to the properties of Fretboards

I agree that we should not add size to the default settings of a FretBoard.

I think we should improve the description of the size parameter. It is a multiplier for the size of the grob. Maybe something like:

  size (number)

     The ratio of the size of the object to its default size.

IIRC, the instrument-specific-markup-interface was added as a means of collecting the markup items (which are TextScripts) into a common section of the Notation Reference. (See NR A.11.5).

It is used by harp pedal diagrams (always as markups), woodwind diagrams (always as markups), and the three different kinds of fret diagram markups (fret-diagram, fret-diagram-verbose, and fret-diagram-terse).

The FretBoard does not use the instrument-specific-markup interface, because it is not a TextScript.

The FretBoard uses the fret-diagram-interface to get at the size parameter, as you noted. Given the definition of size as a multiplier for the default size, I don't think that it needs to be listed as a default setting.

The snippets show changes in the size of the fret diagrams, but there is no snippet that expressly shows this. So perhaps the easiest solution is to adjust our snippets so they are more clear. We would have more of them, but each would be more clear in its intent.