Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4415 in lilypond: Misaligned fret labels in fr

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4415 in lilypond: Misaligned fret labels in fret diagrams
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 20:22:31 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: Needs-evidence

Comment #2 on issue 4415 by address@hidden: Misaligned fret labels in fret diagrams

It appears that there are multiple standards for the fret label placement, which probably means that there is *no* standard.

I have found diagrams with the fret label centered on the fret line, with the base of the label lining up with the fret line, and with the label centered in the fret space.

There is a property in fret-diagram-details (fret-label-vertical-offset) that allows the location of the fret label to be changed.

So the issue is what should be the default position?

David and Patrick both vote for the middle of the fret space. Since fret diagrams aren't part of classically-engraved scores, we can't go to a Bahrenreiter or Peters edition to make a choice. I'd like to see evidence of good practice before changing the default.

My (mostly old) books use a lower-case roman numeral to indicate a fret, and have it centered on the fret line.

My daughter's new Frozen book uses an arabic number plus "fr", and centers it in the fret space. The examples Patrick shared are similar to my daughter's book, but they use the string "fr." (with the period included).

My "Gig Bag Book of Picture Chords" uses upper case roman numerals, with the fret line serving as the baseline for the fret number.

I'd welcome other evidence to help us make this decision.