Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4360 in lilypond: Patch: Reorganize smob initi

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4360 in lilypond: Patch: Reorganize smob initialization to make it more reliable
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 14:43:08 +0000

Updates:

Comment #9 on issue 4360 by address@hidden: Patch: Reorganize smob initialization to make it more reliable

After additional debugging it turned out that my diagnosis had been incorrect. I was thrown off by getting a memory protection error in guile-init.cc in
  for (vsize i = scm_init_funcs_->size (); i--;)
    {
      (scm_init_funcs_->at (i)) ();
    }
so I suspected that some initializations were registered after code rearrangements into scm_init_funcs_ only after the loop had started. Reversing the direction of the loop to forward such that scm_init_funcs_->size () was checked after each iteration fixed the crash.

However, the fixing of the crash actually seems to have been caused by getting a different _order_ of initializations rather than having any initializations omitted, the real problem being an unprotected symbol. So it seems like this did not actually solve a real problem. Even though it's unclear why it should trigger more of the undead objects than previously.