Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4022 in lilypond: Patch: Allow specifying diff

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4022 in lilypond: Patch: Allow specifying different alignment for grob and its parent
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 19:39:04 +0000

Comment #19 on issue 4022 by address@hidden: Patch: Allow specifying different alignment for grob and its parent

Having separate properties indeed makes sense. Let me just say why I have favored one property: I wanted to make it simple to change both alignments to the same number, and I wanted to maintain backward compatibility in case of Lyrics. For example, if we have

{ d'1 }
\addlyrics { laaaa }

both default alignments are CENTER. If the user writes \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #LEFT, he gets a left-aligned syllable (like in melismas). If we have two separate properties, \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #LEFT will have different (and probably quite surprising) output than now.

Do you have some idea on how we could mitigate these problems?