Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3980 in lilypond: Patch: Adds incipit section

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3980 in lilypond: Patch: Adds incipit section to NR
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 08:41:18 +0000

Comment #5 on issue 3980 by address@hidden: Patch: Adds incipit section to NR

Before investing a lot of time: I'm currently digging into whether there is some markup-like way that would preserve alignment between staves.

I've taken a look at the various incipits we have in our ancient music snippets: there are basically two snippets with a mechanism worth retaining. One is incipit.ly, the other worked without instrument name, using something like cadenzaOn. One snippet is basically incipit.ly but worse: it uses instrument names, no music function, and gets a lot of alignment wrong. After cleaning this snippet up, it's basically the same as incipit.ly and consequently not worth keeping or considering.

For single-line incipits, harvesting the bulk of the incipit definition in incipit.ly seems like the best way forward. A somewhat more versatile approach where one specifies the context type to use as one argument might make sense. I am not sure what the best way to deal with "indent" etc is: the way used in incipit.ly seems awfully ad-hoc.

While I'm currently trying to work on something more clever, that involves poking around a lot in the dark in the paper system formatter. I am not sure when or how it will finish, and it will likely be somewhat complex.

Even if it comes around eventually, it might or might not be nice enough to use even for single-staff/simple incipits.

So I'd give a cautious go-ahead, with a warning to provide early feedback if it appears that you'd have to put in a considerable amount of work.

Thanks for caring.