Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3902 in lilypond: the position of the initial

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3902 in lilypond: the position of the initial \voiceOne rest is suboptimal
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 12:11:30 +0000

Comment #15 on issue 3902 by address@hidden: the position of the initial \voiceOne rest is suboptimal

Frankly, I find _many_ of the regtests worse.  The simple construct
<< r16 \\ r8 >>
looks awful (cf make-relative.ly for an example). << r\longa. \\ r\longa.
is absolutely terrible: rest-dot-position.ly is probable the regtest
giving the "executive's summary". Stuff like midi-notes.ly gets incomprehensible: here obviously the look could be improved by smarter voice tracking, but as long as we don't have that, wider defaults like the existing one are less likely to cause inversion confusion.

quote-cyclic.ly looks actually like something's wrong anyway: the main voice more likely than not should have \oneVoice rest positioning. Not relevant to this issue until it is fixed.

quote-cue-during.ly is too tight.

dot-column-vertical-positioning.ly looks like it demonstrates an independent error.

The only actually convincing improvement to me is lyric-combine-switch-voice.ly and again, it is incidental: we'd need voice tracking to get such improvements consistently.

In the current form and situation, I find that the patch makes more things go worse than it causes things to go better. Most improvements are marginal, while several setbacks are rather strong.