Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 298 in lilypond: Ties do not appear when short

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 298 in lilypond: Ties do not appear when shortened because of an accidental
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:28:33 +0000

Comment #10 on issue 298 by address@hidden: Ties do not appear when shortened because of an accidental

Thanks for pointing this out. It's true, the tie between the 2nd and 3rd C, though it might be too high, is no longer absent, as it was in post #3. That's an improvement, and suggests that ties might no longer become too short by avoiding accidentals -- which is the explicit subject of this issue 298 (but not of issues 840 and 1219 which have been merged into it).

Though I haven't re-tested it, I see no reason to think that ties might not still become too short by avoiding flags. I argued (in post #8) that this is true even in examples like #2 or #9 (referring to the tie between the 1st and 2nd C), but I think the severity of the ties-too-short issue would increase from "enhancement" to "defect" if there were a line-break at the first barline in #9 -- as previously demonstrated in a similar example here:
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1219#c8