Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3473 in lilypond: Patch: Rewrite STEPMAKE_GET_

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3473 in lilypond: Patch: Rewrite STEPMAKE_GET_VERSION.
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:37:35 +0000

Comment #11 on issue 3473 by address@hidden: Patch: Rewrite STEPMAKE_GET_VERSION.

It seems to me that it's one trickery against another, but the old code has been tested for ages. What I see (aclocal.m4 lines 43-48) is a special case for programs that use a date instead of a version number (is anybody using this besides fontforge?) and we are parsing its combined stdout and stderr. Since we know that fontforge outputs the relevant info to stdout, it would be sufficient to just skip stderr. So that's a one-line change. Now consider that the hash issue you are facing is something that comes up only if you build fontforge from git (and in-tree, as I came to realize when this hash was missing from my out-of-tree build) and I don't get why we would introduce a major rewrite here.