Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3473 in lilypond: Patch: Rewrite STEPMAKE_GET_

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3473 in lilypond: Patch: Rewrite STEPMAKE_GET_VERSION.
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 07:06:42 +0000

Comment #5 on issue 3473 by address@hidden: Patch: Rewrite STEPMAKE_GET_VERSION.

Two remarks.

. `eval' can indeed be evil. It took me ages to find out that the version data itself can influence the result. `guile --version' shows

  Guile 1.8.8
Copyright (c) 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Free Software Foundation Guile may be distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence;
  certain other uses are permitted as well.  For details, see the file
  `COPYING', which is included in the Guile distribution.
  There is no warranty, to the extent permitted by law.

and both the old code and my first try for a patch couldn't properly handle the
single backtick in front of the word COPYING.

. The recent patchset reduces the size of the configure script by almost 7%. Not that this is of any real significance today, but I consider it more elegant to have a smaller configure script :-)