Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too many dots on chord

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3179 in lilypond: too many dots on chord
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 21:22:11 +0000

Comment #70 on issue 3179 by address@hidden: too many dots on chord

Trevor wrote in comment #68:
I would prefer to see the top dot removed on the 5-note chord, but a
lower dot added to the 7- and 9-note chords.  I think that would make
the patterns more consistent with the earlier ones in which no dots are
removed.  But that's only my opinion - I have no real-life examples;
and Gould does not go into this much detail.

I agree. Gould isn't specific enough, and we need to make up our own rules, and i'd go with the visual look in a way that you suggest.

@Phil (comment #69): i think that adding dots above may be preferred because the default direction of a dot is upward, see { g'4. d''4. }

By the way, i'm having an impression that our test suites don't cover all cases... Notice that, for example, cluster of 5 notes has *4* possible configurations relative to stafflines and the side on which most heads dwell:

\transpose c c' {
  <c d e f g>4. r8
  <d e f g a>4. r8
  <g a b c' d'>4. r8