Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3134 in lilypond: Patch: Removes the translate

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3134 in lilypond: Patch: Removes the translate_axis call from axis-group-interface outside-staff positioning.
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:15:05 +0000

Comment #66 on issue 3134 by address@hidden: Patch: Removes the translate_axis call from axis-group-interface outside-staff positioning.

There's no way that the follow-up work based on this will make it into 2.18, or perhaps even 2.20 or 2.22 for that matter.

This vertical spacing project is huge - it started with the first skyline patch, then there is:

-) this current one
-) a better pure approximation of outside-staff grobs that do not implement side-position-interface (slur, tuplet bracket, etc.) [easy] -) the strategic flushing and recalculating of pure heights of vertical alignments [hard]
-) the creation of several stub grobs for cross-staff objects [hard]

I try to break it up into chunks that already have a tangible, positive effect on the code base and are not just internal reorganizations.

Here, there are two immediate benefits to users:
1) a clarification of what grobs go outside the staff via outside-staff-interface. 2) better placement of scripts on cross-staff grobs (check out fingering-cross-staff.ly).

Granted, these two benefits are not earth shattering. However, it is the best breaking point I can make in my thinking before I go forward.

So, to sum up, it is impossible to get everything in before 2.18. However, had I held myself to the standard of finishing up the project before pushing any of it to master, we wouldn't have the skyline spacing now. So I think it's OK to push clear intermediary stages that have loose ends wrapped up and have a tangible (albeit small in this case) benefit to LilyPond.