Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2657 in lilypond: font kerning on Windows is b

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2657 in lilypond: font kerning on Windows is broken
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 06:17:44 +0000

Updates:
        Cc: address@hidden

Comment #6 on issue 2657 by address@hidden: font kerning on Windows is broken

Ah, I now see that I've missed to add Behdad Esfahbod's reply from Aug. 22nd to the tracker (Behdad is an active developer of Pango). So here it is.

----

   (2) For some unknown reasons yet, we get different output for the
       same font on GNU/Linux and Windows.  While the former contains
       ligatures (like `fi') and kerning, the latter doesn't have this.
       We suspect a Pango problem since I/O snooping has shown that the
     same fonts are used on both platforms.

Incidentally I was checking the basic-win32.c Pango module today and noticed that it shortcircuits calling into Uniscribe if !ScriptIsComplex(). That would explain what you are seeing. I like to remove that hack and always call Uniscribe unconditionally...

Who knows, soon I may even remove the Uniscribe module and rely on HarfBuzz Uniscribe backend on Windows.

If someone wants to try my hypothesis I'd be happy to help.

---

I'm now CCing Behdad. Note that the code he is talking about is still in Pango. Behdad, can you provide a small patch which we can test?