Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2990 in lilypond: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffG

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2990 in lilypond: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffGroup context crashes
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 17:30:43 +0000

Comment #5 on issue 2990 by address@hidden: \RemoveEmptyStaves in StaffGroup context crashes

This all seems rather hare-brained. The problem appears to be that VerticalAxisGroup, when coming into being, use bad rules for adding stuff to its element list, rules that do not correspond to the actual hierarchy of contexts containing the VerticalAxisGroup. Your check appears grotesquely expensive (O(n^3) or something). We get a crash also for

\new StaffGroup \with { \consists "Axis_group_engraver" } \new Staff { c }

which is just not rational for me. What are the rules for axis groups? What is their purpose in connection with nested contexts? What does it mean to include an Axis_group_engraver? If we have a reasonable answer for that, we should be able to come up with creation rules that don't explode around our ears without discernible reason.