Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2858 in lilypond: Document \shape music functi

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2858 in lilypond: Document \shape music function
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:14:24 +0000

Comment #15 on issue 2858 by address@hidden: Document \shape music function

The order of arguments is not much of an issue as that can be brought into line with a convert-ly rule mostly. Personally, I think it makes sense to be consistent regarding "tweak-or-override-with-parameters" functions, putting the tweaked item, whether it be grob name or music, last. The alternative of requiring a trailing \default to indicate an override would have the advantage of being able to specify _both_ grob as well as affected music, as \tweak can also take grob name. However, the additional inconvenience of having to write \default for every override is not offset by this advantage, as one can always, in case of need, use \single on an \override in order to arrive at a grob-specific \tweak.

I'll be proposing a changed patch for \shape presently along those lines. I'll skip the somewhat related support of "context.grob" syntax as slurs, for which \shape is actually important, really only happen at Voice level. I have a change to support this without quotes in the queue, but it still fails with a single regtest because of a parser lookahead issue, and it is not really important for \shape. Also, it is a one-line change, just the predicate for the grob specification.