Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2783 in lilypond: wrong placement of timesigna

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2783 in lilypond: wrong placement of timesignature
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:48:30 +0000

Comment #15 on issue 2783 by address@hidden: wrong placement of timesignature

In the case without line-positions, centre-of-staff is strictly equivalent to position 0, except that it is undefined for line-count=0. The most common use for line-positions will likely be regular positions, but with an offset (like the additional staff lines you described). In that case it would seem most sensible to not move the time signature along with the staff centre: it seems pointless to use an offset if the time signature ignores it.

I have seen no argument regarding use of line-positions that looked preferable to using position #0 to me. The one thing I feel ambiguous about is when not having line-positions, and an even value of line-count. The "natural" cases, tablature and plainchant, don't call for a meter. LilyPond "historically" appears to use an offset of 1 for that case; there probably is an intention behind that, and revisiting that intention would make sense before trying changes here.

When we are talking about unusual staff arrangements, I don't think it unreasonable if the user (or provider of appropriate Staff context definitions) will also have to decide about the meter position, and "0" is very simple and straightforward as a starting point for that.

Picking something more diverse than that makes sense only in when there are well-established typesetting practices that LilyPond can recognize reliably from the input.