Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2719 in lilypond: Patch: Brain surgery on the

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2719 in lilypond: Patch: Brain surgery on the build system, first stage
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 21:02:12 +0000

Comment #15 on issue 2719 by address@hidden: Patch: Brain surgery on the build system, first stage

I agree with you that "cranking releases out" is the best test, and the few releases planned on stable/2.16 before actual stable release 2.16.0 (or .1, or whatever its number will be) would be ideal for this IMHO; I'd provide quick reaction to fix issues that would arise with these changes. But before thinking of extensive feedback after releases, what about actual feedback on all efforts I put to make this patch more testable? Have you tried to run Patchy with proposed changes (comments #9-11), or the test procedure in comment #2? Have you looked at dev/jmandereau branch, using gitweb/gitk/git log -pM? That said, I perfectly understand you'd like to spend not too much energy on this big patch to concentrate on the number of bugs to be solved for 2.16, but you didn't state it clearly.

If you think 2.16 is releasable within one or two months, and you (or the developers that will roll releases from 2.16 branch) don't mind fixing dist rolling issues like the ones in the long list in comment #7, I'm fine with this patch not going into stable/2.16; now that there is this patch to circumvent this repeated human error of forgetting files in the bunch of makefiles variables defining the files to be distributed, I'll simply ignore GUB distcheckerror reports that might arise in branch(es) that miss this patch -- fortunately distcheck errors can be easily fixed by many developers here.