Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1670 in lilypond: Allow numbers in variable na

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1670 in lilypond: Allow numbers in variable names: violin1mvt2 = c'
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 20:27:16 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Priority-Postponed

Comment #12 on issue 1670 by address@hidden: Allow numbers in variable names: violin1mvt2 = c'

Issue 2707 makes some progress on the original request: allowing underscores in users' variable names (but not as the last character in the name, thus avoiding the confusion mentioned above with \slide_1 ).

There is some discussion at issue 2707 on why numbers are a bit more difficult, because violin1 has form similar to csharp2 or lyrics sing4 or chords c2:maj7m5

Of course this is no problem inside music expressions (notes, lyrics, or chords) where the variables are distinguished by their '\': \violin1

The difficulty is in the definition. LilyPond allows (for no good reason I can see) music expressions outside of any braces, where we define our variables. (The lexer starts reading our files in note-mode.) Thus a confusing input file like
  cflatflat1 = cisis2    % more sensibly:  violin1 = { cisis2 }
  \new Staff \cflatflat1
is a bit tricky for the lexer to divide into tokens.