Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2527 in lilypond: Finger-flag collision

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2527 in lilypond: Finger-flag collision
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 05:45:37 +0000

Comment #2 on issue 2527 by address@hidden: Finger-flag collision

The new patch exposes an area of the code base where the new skyline work will be key. Treating flags and stems as all-or-nothing objects pushes fingerings away too much, but if we used their vertical and horizontal skylines, the fingerings would only shift enough to avoid the part that they'd actually intersect with. So this patch would be a sort of stop gate solution before the skyline work.

I'm ambivalent about the patch. Normally I'd be for non-collision over collision, but this results in much wider default spacing. I'd be interested what pianists have to say. Specifically, la raison d'être of the patch comes from perusing Phil Hézaine's work on Schumann w/ fingerings.

What would Elaine Gould do?