lightning

Re: [Lightning] Are tail calls possible in GNU lightning?

From: Paulo César Pereira de Andrade
Subject: Re: [Lightning] Are tail calls possible in GNU lightning?
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 00:56:25 -0200

> P.S.: I have written a small example program that demonstrates what I want
> to achieve:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <lightning.h>
>
> static jit_state_t *_jit;
>
> jit_node_t *compile() {
>   jit_state_t *_jit;
>   _jit = jit_new_state();
>   jit_prolog();
>   jit_node_t *label = jit_indirect();
>   jit_reti(42);
>   jit_emit();
>   jit_clear_state();
>   return jit_address(label);
> }

  This will leak a jit_state_t, but I presume it is only for example,
otherwise, need to jit_destroy_state it once no longer used.

> int main(int argc, char* argv[]) {
>
>   int (*code)();
>
>   jit_node_t *jump, *label, *ref;
>
>   init_jit(argv[0]);
>   _jit = jit_new_state();
>
>   jit_prolog();
>   jit_prepare();
>   jit_finishi(compile);

  This works because neither function receives (stack) arguments,
but if whatever "compile" returns needs more arguments than the
code calling it, it will corrupt the stack. Lightning could fix some
of the cases (same jit_context_t calling jit compiled functions),
but  without full control of all code generation cannot fix or know
about cases were it could, or would corrupt the stack, and even
when possible to fix in lightning, it would be better to rely on the
programmer understanding the code generation, and being
responsible for not corrupting data (proper/clear documentation
should exist, to make the information easy to understand).

>   jit_retval(JIT_R0);
>   jit_jmpr(JIT_R0);

  This will not work on some backends, like ia64 or big endian
powerpc (function descriptors), or, mips or little endian powerpc
where the function pointer must be in a specific register, to
compute GOT, PIC, etc. hppa also needs some special
handling. Also, for the sake of simplicity/safety, lightning would
still need to spill/reload modified callee save registers.

>   code = jit_emit();
>   jit_clear_state();
>
>   printf("Result: %d\n", code());
>
>   jit_destroy_state();
>   finish_jit();
>
>   return 0;
> }
>
> I can run this program successfully on my x86_64 GNU/Linux. But does it work
> portably?

  No, as commented above (ia64, mips, BE or LE powerpc). Your
example is a simple case, but to be complete, it would need to
support stack arguments, and for the sake of self documenting,
and avoiding having lightning to do different code generation based
on context, that may not be too easy to infer when reading the code,
it would be better to have two calls, one for preparing to push
arguments for a tail call (could be omitted if not passing any
arguments), and one to tail call the pointer. Somewhat like
jit_tailcall{i,r} (for no arguments), and "jit_tailprepare" and
"jit_tailfinish{i,r}". Well, need to choose some naming
scheme, sometimes the first idea does not sound do cool :)

Thanks,
Paulo