Re: [Libunwind-devel] dl_iterate_phdr deadlock in unw_step

From: Arun Sharma
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] dl_iterate_phdr deadlock in unw_step
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:10:51 -0800

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Jared Cantwell
<address@hidden> wrote:

> We can't tell from those threads whether this was ever resolved or not,
> because the documentation still clearly states that unw_step is signal safe
> when that appears to not be the case.

It's not resolved as far as I know. The only known work around is to
implement your own dl_iterate_phdr that doesn't call malloc by hooking
into low level APIs that notify you every time a new shared object is
loaded.

The main trade-off is upfront/fixed memory cost vs
pay-for-what-you-use (current glibc approach). It's been a while, so I
may not be remembering all the details right.

Not aware of any publicly available implementation of dl_iterate_phdr
with these guarantees.

 -Arun