[Libunwind-devel] non-local return scalability bottleneck

From: D'Alessandro, Luke K
Subject: [Libunwind-devel] non-local return scalability bottleneck
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 12:30:23 +0000

Hi All,

I have a C library that commonly uses a custom setjmp/longjmp for non-local
return. I’m trying to add support for intermediate C++ code, which means I need
to return through frames that might have RAII destructors that need to run. I’m
attempting to use `_Unwind_ForcedUnwind()` to perform this operation. It works
fine, however there is a serious scalability bottleneck that I’m trying to
track down.

I’m using the 1.1 release and I’ve switched `x86_64_local_addr_space_init()` to
set the default caching policy to UNW_CACHE_PER_THREAD. I did this statically
because I couldn’t figure out where to insert `unw_set_caching_policy()` to get
it to change properly—it appears that the address space is created inside of
the call to `_Unwind_ForcedUnwind()`…?

In any case, I still see the app hammering away at a lock. I see an init lock
in `tdep_init()`, but I doubt that’s an issue. I also see a lock in
`trace_cache_get_unthreaded`, which I don’t think I should be hitting. If
someone could point me to the likely issue that would be great, or if there is
something fundamentally non-scalable about reading the dwarf information and
unwinding that would be useful information too.

Thanks,
Luke