[Libunwind-devel] x86_64 on libunwind 1.1rc1

From: Jim Lloyd
Subject: [Libunwind-devel] x86_64 on libunwind 1.1rc1
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 10:48:00 -0700

We have a multithreaded X86_64 application that we'd like to be able to run Google's gperftools CPU profiler. In the past we were blocked by problems with the X86_64 architecture. We have a renewed need for running the CPU profiler so I have just checked on the latest status of gperftools and libunwind, and I see that 1.1rc1 was released a few days ago. I have just done the following:

$ git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/libunwind.git
$ cd libunwind
$ git checkout v1.1-rc1
$ autoreconf -i
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make check

There are two failures:

FAILURE: expected 13, not 3 frames below signal frame
FAIL: Gtest-dyn1
FAILURE: expected 13, not 3 frames below signal frame
FAIL: Ltest-dyn1

This is an improvement, as we used to see 4 failures.

My next step is to try gperftools and will report back results. In the meantime, should I expect to see the above two failures on X86_64? Is there any workaround for them?