Re: [Libunwind-devel] libunwind on android (UNW_LOCAL_ONLY)

From: Jeff Muizelaar
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] libunwind on android (UNW_LOCAL_ONLY)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:46:51 -0500

On 12-02-13 3:45 AM, Ken Werner wrote:
On 02/13/2012 03:57 AM, Jordan Schidlowsky wrote:
I've been following Ken Werner's work on getting libunwind ported to the android platform. I was delighted to see an Android.mk on his branch!

I've followed through the instructions listed here: https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/ToolChain/Outputs/LibunwindDebuggerd

I have been trying to get the library built however I've been running into brick wall after brick wall. Has anyone successfully built the library and used it locally in a native android application? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Jordan,

Local unwinding relies on 'dl_iterate_phdr'- a functionality that bionic (the libc) doesn't seem to provide[1] to external users. I think, you'd have to change either bionic or libunwind. In addition, Android uses a different build system that require you to create an Android.mk[2].

Just out of curiosity. Why do you need local backtracing on Android when there's the debuggerd to handle crashes?
I also needed local backtracing on Android for a profiler and did some work to work around the need for dl_iterate_phdr. That work is up at:
https://github.com/jrmuizel/libunwind/commit/79c42a7cc4d11c90be28bd8bf7cc4884bf8766ce

However, a coworker of mine tried it out and it didn't work for him. I've not yet had a chance to debug it.

-Jeff