Re: [Libunwind-devel] In the Linaro environment ...

From: Ken Werner
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] In the Linaro environment ...
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:30:04 +0200

On 10/11/2011 07:17 PM, Myke Smith wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2011, at 7:24 AM, Ken Werner wrote:
>
>> On 09/26/2011 05:53 PM, Myke Smith (Palm GBU) wrote:
>>> Ken,
>>>
>>> When running the libunwind test suite on ARM I am getting a large number of failures. What is the expectation and what do you see in your environment? Before I start digging in with GDB I want to see if this is expected or not.
>>
>> Hello Myke,
>>
>> Sorry for the delay - I've been on vacation.
>> Ubuntu on ARM comes with a compiler that doesn't generate the ARM
>> specific unwind tables by default. I suspect you ran the libunwind
>> testsuite against binaries that don't have any unwind infos (DWARF or
>> ARM exidx). You may try to compile and run the testsuite like this:
>> make check CFLAGS="-funwind-tables"
>>
>> There are still a lot of fails on ARM Linux and any help to get things
>> further is greatly appreciated. The Linaro wiki has a page that focuses
>> on libunwind on ARM and also shows some testsuite results at the end:
>> https://wiki.linaro.org/KenWerner/Sandbox/libunwind

Ken,
Thanks, I am on vacation at the moment, I will work on this when I return..

Nice, have a good one! :)

I do not explicitly call out -funwind-tables but when I run you variant of
debuggerd I do get everything to correctly backtrace even with stripped
binaries which implies to me that the unwind-tables were being generated.

Thanks for your work on this and I will dig back in on my return.

Since you mentioned "Ubuntu 10.4 armel" and I thought you were using the Linaro evaluation builds based on Ubuntu. The Ubuntu ARM binaries are not compiled with -funwind-tables while Android on ARM has this flag enabled by default. I didn't run/port the libunwind testsuite to Android, so I don't have any results for this platform. However, a (rather simple) testcase works fine on my PandaBoard. More infos about libunwind, Androids debuggerd and the test app can be found at:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/libunwind-devel/2011-09/msg00037.html

Regards
Ken