Re: [Libunwind-devel] Updated fast trace patch with initial performance

From: Lassi Tuura
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Updated fast trace patch with initial performance results
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 08:18:59 +0200

Hi,

> Is there a particular reason you didn't use __thread?

Ah forgot one important detail. We do need to arrange a call to
trace_cache_free() on thread exit. This is easy with pthread_key_create(), but
I understand not so easy for __thread.

Any thoughts how to free per-thread data with __thread? Any tricks to get the
destructor call effect without risking the calloc() call?

In our application we can arrange a call to libunwind on thread exit to free
any per-thread caches. We could also arrange a call on thread creation, to
ensure any calloc() for TLS will happen in 'safe' call context. These are not
very generic solutions though.

Regards,
Lassi