Re: [Libunwind-devel] status of ARM support

From: Sven Neumann
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] status of ARM support
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 13:56:17 +0200

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 13:50 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> > I didn't add these extra options, and of course I would prefer if I
>  > wouldn't have to. So far I have tried to add -funwind-tables, but that
>  > did not seem to help with dwarf_step().
>  >

> No, it won't. Libunwind (at least on ARM) requires .debug_frame for
> dwarf_step() to work. You can check if your binary contains .debug_frame
> (objdump -h <binary> | grep debug_frame).
> If not you can try compiling with -g1 and see what happens.

Yes, I found that compiling with -g1 makes everything work nicely.
Thanks for your help.

Of course the binaries and libraries compiled with -g1 are a good deal
larger than what we used to use. On the other hand we now get reasonable
backtraces. Is there anything I could strip from the binaries and
libraries built with -g1 without breaking libunwind again?

Regards,
Sven