Re: [Libunwind-devel] vdso and libunwind

From: Lassi Tuura
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] vdso and libunwind
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:36:30 +0200

Hi,

>> Did you look at the ia64 version of libunwind?  It does handle VDSO.
>> Frankly, I don't remember the details off hand, but if it doesn't make sense
>> to you, let me know and I'll refresh my memory.
>
> I didn't before, but did now. It's a good example - except that it uses
> getunwind() which appears to be ia64-only syscall. The man page points me to
> look at AT_SYSINFO_EHDR, so assuming I can lay my hands somehow on the auxv,
> it should be possible grab this. Will investigate. Thanks, this was useful!

Muttering to myself:

On x86_64 linux AT_SYSINFO_EHDR is in /proc/self/auxv starting with kernel
2.6.23. I understood GLIBC handles this automatically. Our RHEL5 kernels don't
have it - which begs the question what I ran into originally. Turns out I was
looking at vsyscall page (vgettimeofday, vtime), not vdso (__vdso_gettimeofday).

On x86_64 linux vsyscall page seems to be given by <asm/vsyscall.h> which
defines VSYSCALL_{START,END,SIZE}. As far as I know even GLIBC just hard-codes
the values. I'll try to add handling for this, and will try to find a system
which has vdso just to make sure it gets handled correctly too.

Regards,
Lassi