[Libunwind-devel] Backtrace on ARM

From: Richard Titmuss
Subject: [Libunwind-devel] Backtrace on ARM
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:12:58 +0100

Hi,

I am trying to output a backtrace in a signal handler (for sigquit and sigsegv) in an ARM application on an embedded platform. It appears that two different approaches can be used, backtrace in glibc and using libunwind. In fact the Ltest-bt included in libunwind looks like a perfect example of what I am trying to do. However it does not seem to be working for me, it outputs:

   # ./Ltest-bt v
   Normal backtrace:
           explicit backtrace:
   0000000000008a88 <do_backtrace+0x38>              (sp=00000000be849620)
           proc=12-4001e000
           handler=400fb3e0 lsda=4001fad0 gp=1

           via backtrace():

The backtrace from all three tests are identical, just showing the do_backtrace function and not unwinding the stack. Also the glibc backtrace is not returning any results. I have tried experimenting with different compiler options, and a couple of different toolchains. My latest tests are using the CodeSourcery lite 2008q3-72 toolchain.

Is there something obvious that I am missing to get this to work?

Thanks,
Richard