Re: [Libunwind-devel] Small patch for Frysk

From: Arun Sharma
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Small patch for Frysk
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 21:42:46 -0700

On 8/7/07, David Mosberger-Tang <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jose,
>
> The function is rather low-level and as such there is a risk that the
> interface is not really portable across platforms.  The implementation
> is obviously DWARF-specific, so src/mi/ isn't really the right place
> for it, but that's a minor detail.
>
> Why does Frysk need this operation?

This one has come up before:

I think there are two use cases:

a) Unwind a stack in an i386 address space running on a x86-64 kernel.
b) Unwind statically linked binaries on any dwarf platform (where
dl_iterate_phdr doesn't find the unwind table).

Like David suggested, putting this code under dwarf and making
statically linked binaries work might be a good first step.  The way
the patch stands now, it adds an API that nothing in the tree actually
uses.

Subsequently we can consider support for cross ABI unwinding
(hopefully it'll be an even smaller patch).

 -Arun