Re: [libunwind] core file unwinding?

From: David Mosberger
Subject: Re: [libunwind] core file unwinding?
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:18:14 -0800

  Mike> Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I've not found it in the archives.

  Mike> I'd like to unwind the saved state of a process from a
  Mike> corefile and I don't see a means to do this with the existing
  Mike> libunwind implementation.

That does seem like a fairly common task.  I heard of at least two
others which wanted to do the same.  Unfortunately, no code was
contributed back for doing that.

  Mike> My next step was to build an implementation of a corefile
  Mike> reader using the libunwind-ptrace.h style, but I thought I'd
  Mike> ask to see if I've overlooked something before starting.

That's probably not the right way to go.  The right approach is to use
unw_create_addr_space() and to provide access_mem/access_{fp,}reg
callbacks which read the core-file.

  Mike> I'm on a linux x86 and was considering using the libbfd
  Mike> primitives to do the actual corefile reading.

  Mike> Thoughts, pointers (especially to existing code!) are most
  Mike> welcome.

It sure would be nice to have a libunwind-core so folks like yourself
don't have to constantly reinvent the wheel.  I'm willing to answer
questions but I'm afraid I'm too busy with other things at the moment
to do this myself.

        --david