Re: [libunwind] libunwind v0.98 released

From: David Mosberger
Subject: Re: [libunwind] libunwind v0.98 released
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:03:02 -0700

  Matthieu> I've prepared the libunwind7 package set.

Great!

  Matthieu> My problem here is that libunwind-setjmp still has a so
  Matthieu> version set to 0. libunwind1 and libunwind7 would provide
  Matthieu> common files (thus a conflict).

  Matthieu> My first question is: as libunwind-setjmp depends on
  Matthieu> libunwind, should the so version still be 0 or change?

libunwind-setjmp is not affected by the libunwind version number, so
it's version number doesn't need to change.

  Matthieu> I have to admit that a "change" as an answer would help me
  Matthieu> a lot.

Would it be difficult/cumbersome to provide a separate
libunwind-setjmp package?  If so, would it help if we just changed the
minor version number of libunwind-setjmp.so?

  Matthieu> If it is really supposed to be 0, is it possible to make
  Matthieu> an exception?  (and set it to either 1 or 7). At the same
  Matthieu> time I will split libunwind7 into two packages to prevent
  Matthieu> us from this type of conflict into the future.

Ah, I see, splitting the package by itself wouldn't help now that
there already is the libunwind1 package.

I'd prefer not to change the major version number of libunwind-setjmp.
Is a minor version change sufficient?

        --david