[libunwind] Re: x86_64 PIC archives

From: Young, Mark
Subject: [libunwind] Re: x86_64 PIC archives
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:47:05 -0700

David Mosberger wrote:

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:04:55 -0700, Mark Young  <mailto:address@hidden>
<address@hidden> said:

  Mark> David, I want to create a shared object for x86_64 with

  Mark> libunwind statically linked in. The libunwind archive files

  Mark> currently built for x86_64 contain non-PIC objects which

  Mark> cannot be linked to create a shared object. The libunwind

  Mark> shared object files contain PIC objects but I haven't found

  Mark> any way to relink them. Would it be reasonable/possible for

  Mark> you either to compile everything as PIC or to extend the build

  Mark> procedure to create a parallel set of libunwind archive files

  Mark> containing PIC objects?

All the library-building is controlled by libtool and I'd really like

to keep it that way.  If there is an easy and clean way to do what you

want with libtool, I certainly would be willing to consider it.  You

may be best off compiling libunwind yourself, since you seem to have

special requirements.  Perhaps all you need to do is configure

libunwind with CFLAGS="-g -O2 -fPIC" and you'd be all set?

        --david

Doing a second clean build using those CFLAGS plus the --libdir switch to
install the PIC versions in a separate lib directory should do it. Thanks,

--Mark