Re: [libunwind] filling in unw_dyn_region_info_t

From: David Mosberger
Subject: Re: [libunwind] filling in unw_dyn_region_info_t
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:03:35 -0800

  >> However, note that Section 7 of the Software COnventions & Runtime
  >> Architecture Guide [1] ("SCRA") requires that the stack-pointer always
  >> be 16-byte aligned, so even though the unwind-directive itself looks
  >> reasonable, the code itself is incorrect.

  Todd> My understanding is that this requirement came from the
  Todd> unwinder, which is why I'd been ignoring it.

AFAIK, the requirement comes from the desire to be able to spill
floating-point values onto the stack.  stf.spill requires 16-byte
alignment.

  Todd> OK.  It'll be relatively easy to force libunwind into a remote
  Todd> process; does it need any initialization before I make
  Todd> _U_dyn_register() calls?

No initialization is required.  If you care about minimizing
load-times, you could link the archive-version of libunwind
(libunwind.a) as that would avoid adding a shared-library dependency
when you only need one or two tiny routines.

        --david