libtool

Re: What happened to libtool transitive DSOs?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: What happened to libtool transitive DSOs?
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 11:11:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018, Paul T. Bauman wrote:

This is correct and bit us as well when Debian-based systems changed this.
Our very hackish work around was to insert the following in our configure.ac
immediately after AC_OUTPUT():

perl -pi -e 's/link_all_deplibs=no/link_all_deplibs=yes/' libtool

OS distributions where shared libraries provide robust implicit dependencies, and where pkg-config or other methods are used to obtain build options, do not like what libtool does. They do not like that libtool adds libraries that the application/library did not explicitly link with. The reason why they do not like this is that if they introduce a different library which has different dependencies then they would like the dependencies to be entirely determined by the new library.

This is a very long-standing point of contention.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn