libtool

Re: What happened to libtool transitive DSOs?

From: Paul T. Bauman
Subject: Re: What happened to libtool transitive DSOs?
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 12:00:53 -0400

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 11:56 AM Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jun 2018, John Calcote wrote:

> After upgrading to libtool 2.4.2, I find that I now have to specify the
> additional secondary .la files that are listed in the primary .la files'
> dependency_libs property, or I get a link error indicating missing DSOs on
> the command line (and I can see that libtool is not adding the transitive
> dependencies like it used to. Why was this change made?

Are you using libtool 2.4.2 as distributed by the FSF or are you using
a modified libtool distributed by an OS vendor?  Some OS vendors
modify libtool like this on purpose.

This is correct and bit us as well when Debian-based systems changed this. Our very hackish work around was to insert the following in our configure.ac immediately after AC_OUTPUT():

perl -pi -e 's/link_all_deplibs=no/link_all_deplibs=yes/' libtool

HTH,

Paul