libtool

Re[2]: MSW DLLs support in libtool

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: MSW DLLs support in libtool
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 03:00:21 +0100

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 00:38:48 +0100 Peter Rosin <address@hidden> wrote:

PR> On 2016-02-12 21:59, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
PR> > Peter Rosin writes:
PR> >>
PR> >> Well said, I would also like to add that libtool -no-undefined does not
PR> >> imply ld --no-undefined.
PR> >
PR> >  This is, of course, a bug. I don't even know if it's worth continuing to
PR> > argue because I don't have anything new to add to what I had already
PR> > written and it is IMO quite obvious to any user of libtool that it should
PR> > imply it, yet most people here seem to consider it as a feature.
PR>
PR> The feature here is to not break packages. Changing libtool -no-undefined
PR> to imply ld --no-undefined -- at this point -- is not an option IMHO.

 I'm all for backwards compatibility but it seems ridiculous to me to think
that people would knowingly use libtool -no-undefined when they expect their
libraries to have undefined symbols. IMHO any such "breakage" would only
discover existing bugs. Of course, it's possible that people had to add
-no-undefined to their libtool just to allow it to create DLLs under MSW,
so any such change would absolutely need to be accompanied by the change in
the logic of MSW DLLs generation I'm proposing too.

 But, again, does anybody know of any package that uses -no-undefined but
expects to have undefined symbols in its shared libraries? This would be
just amazing.

PR> Also, libtool added -no-undefined before ld added --no-undefined, so some
PR> might argue that you are barking up the wrong tree if you think things
PR> are inconsistent. Not that shifting blame is going solve anything...

 Again, I don't dispute that some things that don't make sense now did make
sense in the 90s. But the fact is that 20 years have passed since then and
it's time to move on.

 Regards,
VZ