libtool

Re: Libtool does not generate shared libraries when cross compiling x86/

From: Harald Servat
Subject: Re: Libtool does not generate shared libraries when cross compiling x86/64 -> sparc64 using fujitsu compiler
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:25:21 +0100

On 2016-02-03 18:33, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On 03 Feb 2016 14:30, Harald Servat wrote:
    we have found that

   ./configure --prefix=/tmp/test CC=fccpx --build=x86_64-linux-gnu
--host=sparc64-linux-gnu

    did not work. See:

checking whether the fccpx linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf64_sparc) supports
shared libraries... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported
checking for shl_load... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen... yes
checking whether a program can dlopen itself... cross
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no

    However, the system support suggested to add the flag -Xg into the
Fujitsu compiler and we found that the following configure did work.

./configure --prefix=/tmp/test CC=fccpx --host=x86-linux CFLAGS="-Xg"

checking whether the fccpx linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... fccpx: warning:
-print-search-dirs is unrecognized option. This option is passed to the
linker.
usage: fccpx [options] files.
GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for shl_load... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen... yes
checking whether a program can dlopen itself... cross

    So that works for the small test example I generated. However, when
passing the same flags to the application we want to build, then the
libtool still claims it does not support shared libraries. So there are
couple of questions then: any idea on why this larger case the addition
of CFLAGS and --host does allow libtool to generate shared libraries?
And, I don't have direct access to the system, but can I do something to
improve the support on this system?

i don't know what "fccpx" is, but i'd guess that libtool just doesn't
understand how it works.  please attach the config.log file from that
run.

fccpx/fcc are the Fujitsu C compiler commands: "There  are two types of
compile commands, one is the cross compile command that is fccpx, and
the other is the own compile command  that  is fcc."

I got in contact with them on Fujitsu supercomputer like K Computer and
FX10 systems. With fccpx you cross-compile on a x86_64 login node for
sparc64 compute nodes. fcc generates code for the x86_64 login node.

You are right, libtool doesn't understand neither fccpx nor fcc nor the
C++ and Fortran variants. I talked to Fujitsu but they are not eager to
contribute to libtool.

Thank you for the information Christian. We're running these experiments in K computer. Since Mike requested the config.log, I'm adding the config.log for the bfd/ subdir within the binutils 2.24 package.

I'm unsure on how to interpret the libtool related information because it is very simplistic

configure:11699: checking if libtool supports shared libraries
configure:11701: result: no

however, at some point earlier, the following test might be related

configure:8998: checking whether the fccpx linker (sparc64-linux-ld -m elf64_sparc) supports shared libraries
configure:10069: result: no

Can we provide some additional info or run additional tests to improve libtool on this system?

Best,

Christian

-mike

WARNING / LEGAL TEXT: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the
intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,
distributing, copying, or in any way using this message. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender and
destroy and delete any copies you may have received.

http://www.bsc.es/disclaimer