libtool

Re: One year since last libtool release

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: One year since last libtool release
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 19:28:31 +0100

Hi Gary, Bob, all,

* Gary V. Vaughan wrote on Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 05:47:31PM CET:
> On 11 Oct 2009, at 07:14, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >* Gary V. Vaughan wrote on Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 01:35:39PM CEST:
> >>
> >>Not good news I'm afraid.  The old testsuite has half a dozen
> >>failures
> >>or more on several machines, and the new testsuite gets stuck in an
> >>infinite loop on some of the others :(

I have started doing some regression tests for Libtool in the mean time;
first thing I'm primarily looking for regressions over 2.2.6 and issues
outside of libltdl, as GCC needs some Libtool fixes pretty soon if they
are to make it for 4.5.

Things I see don't look all that bad.  Several of the failures I see are
due to new tests or otherwise better testsuite exposure, and some are
due to libltdl only.  I'll eventually post what I won't/can't fix.

Which brings me to one other point: we need to get libltdl coverage
data, and then we desperately need to increase its test coverage.

Can you look into the infinite loop, and confirm that it's not just one
of those recursive tests that themselves invoke the testsuite and merely
take pretty long?

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 06:25:26PM CET:
> We should fix the libltdl performance problem (attempting to dlopen
> a .a file due to the preloader) before making a release.  This is
> something I am pretty interested in (it causes a HUGE performance
> hit) so I will be looking into a fix eventually if no one else gets
> to it first.

Will you please write a testcase for this issue first thing you do?  If
Autotest is too complicated, then just any kind of small reproducible
example, but we *need* a test case, and you are in the best position to
write it.

Thanks,
Ralf