libtool

rpath again

From: Alexander Nozdrin
Subject: rpath again
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:12:06 +0300

Hello, everybody!

I've been using auto tools (autoconf/automake/libtool) for several years and it was great. Now, work on some project and we should be able to create "binary distributions". We can't do it with libtool, because it adds rpath to all executables. How can I cope with it?

I know that there are a lot of products, which have binary distributions. But I can't find such project, which simultaneously uses libtool and has binary distributions.

Btw, I've read some articles in archive and find out that libtool's community think that it is bad idea to be able to place binaries in different places on each installation. But in our project we are going to have one shell script (wrapper) for each executable. Unfortunately, our executables are used a lot of external software, which requires a lot of environment variables. So, our executables are intended to be executed only from such "wrappers". I know, this is not a common way, but we have to do it.

Please, help me! I don't want to reinvent the wheel and rewrite all Makefiles by hands. :(

Thanks in advance!

--
Best regards,
  Alexander Nozdrin